WW2 – The Battle of Crete
The importance of the battle of Crete for the outcome of the war was significant. Benito Mussolini wrote that “the gigantic battle of Crete was the peak of the Hellenic contribution”.
During this tour, you’ll have the opportunity to learn as much as possible for this important historical event and visit some of the grounds where this battle took place.
In addition, our guide will provide you with extra information and stories about the battle, and help you understand how and what happened there.
Also, you’ll have the chance to visit a small local museum full of artifacts of the war, visit the two cemeteries (allied and German), and many hidden Gems.
In this tour you ‘ll have the chance to taste a nice traditional Cretan meal, and taste some homemade “raki”.
From 95€ per person
(see our price table below)
TOUR PLAN DETAILS
- This tour starts at 9:00 am from the Chania region and after your pick up we head towards Souda bay, where we visit the commonwealth cemetery at 42nd street.
- After this we visit the wider area of Maleme, where the main war airfield is situated, the cemetery of the German forces, and the RAF monument.
- Our second place of interest is Galatas where many important things about the battle took place, if possible we’ll also visit a private collection of war artifacts and speak with the owner.
- The next place we ‘ll visit is Vouves, where the oldest olive tree of the world is situated and there we ‘ll relax and enjoy our homemade Cretan meal and of course taste the “raki”.
- On our way back we ‘ll pass from the area Agioi Apostoloi and see the former 7th General hospital and later POW camp.
- During all the tour you will have time for many stops in beautiful landscapes, take many photos, and learn about Cretan culture and life.
- Private transportation from and to your location with an A/C vehicle.
- English and French speaking local tour escort and guiding services.
- Entrance fees for the places which are required.
- Traditional homemade lunch, with wine and “raki”.
- VAT, local taxes and fees, liability insurance.
- This tour involves a lot of history!
- This tour can be specialized in nationalities information, or other interests about war, if requested in advance via e-mail.
Friendly for people with disabilities: You must be able to get in and out of the car and walk small distances.
- British, Australian, New Zealanders, Germans, Italians in battle.
BOOK THIS TOUR
- This tour is only for Chania and Rethymno region.
- For pickups out of Chania region (more than 25 km of Chania city center), there is an additional charge of 20€ – 100€ depending on the distance and the number of persons. It has to be paid with cash on the day of the tour at the pickup spot.
- You will be notified about the pickup time and the additional charge (if it is required), with a second email following the confirmation email after your booking.