Travel with us and learn the History of the religion on Crete.
This is a private tour designed for people who are fascinated by the Orthodox History and culture.
During this private experience, you will be able to visit beautiful and remote small churches, ancient Orthodox ruins and Monasteries.
Join us and discover religion on Crete, in a beautiful monks Journey!
Since the early Christian years, Crete became a cradle of Orthodox Christianity.
This is reflected on the hundreds of religious monuments on the island.
Remote places of monastic self-exile, traces of early Christian basilicas, cavernous chapels and painted Byzantine churches are found everywhere on Crete.
Most large and small monasteries operating today were established in that period.
Apart from serving religious needs, most of them played an important role during the struggles of Cretans for liberation, especially after the conquest of Crete by the Ottomans.
During this Private experience you will have the chance to visit many of these places.
Away from the commercialized famous religious sites, you will have the occasion to visit small churches, and ancient ruins of temples in remote villages.
In addition during this day you will be able to taste the good Cretan olive oil, that the monks had as a main ingredient of their nutrition.
Finally you will enjoy a well prepared Lunch in a small family restaurant of the mountains, and you will try a large variety of local dishes.
From 90€ per person
(see our price table below)
- This tour starts 9:00 am from Chania region and we drive towards the outskirts of Chania city.
- Our First point of interest is located at the west of Chania where we will make a stop for coffee.
- Later on we will drive towards the mountains and we will arrive at a local Monastery.
- After the Monastery we will drive to a remote place and we will visit one of the older relegius ruins of Chania.
- In adition,during this private tour we will make many stops and visit many small Orthodox Churches.
- After our visits to many places of religious interest we will arrive at the small mountain Village where is located the Family restaurant.
- There you will enjoy a very well prepared Cretan lunch,and you will taste the Cretan olive oil and a large variety of traditional homemade dishes.
- During this private tour you will be escorted by one of our Tour experts and you will learn many things about the History and Culture of the Religion on Crete.
- Finally we will start our way back to your accomodation.
- Private transportation from and to your location with A/C vehicle.
- English and French speaking Mountain Guide and guiding services.
- Traditional local meal with wine and “raki”.
- Sampling of local treats and specialties.
- VAT, local taxes and fees, liability insurance.
- This is a walking tour so wear comfortable shoes
BOOK THIS TOUR
- This tour is only for Chania and the Rethymno region.
- For pickups out of Chania region (more than 25 km of Chania city center), there is an additional charge of 20€ – 100€ depending on the distance and the number of persons. It has to be paid with cash on the day of the tour at the pickup spot.
- You will be notified about the pickup time and the additional charge (if it is required), with a second email following the confirmation email after your booking.